Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jesus. Water. Colour.

Beware. This could be weird to your brains. Smirk.


Today I am thinking about Jesus, God, and Holy Spirit and what they look like.

Growing up, God has always looked like a huge glow worm (minus the night cap and the worm body). So, I guess he didn’t really look like a glow worm, but he sure did glow a lot. I mean, I couldn’t see any facial features, just an outline, and it was all light, baby.

 

Jesus always looked like the guy in the picture Bible.

 

Holy Spirit has always been a mist. It’s so weird, but when I didn’t allow myself to think deeper on him, her, it…? This is what I came up with.

 

Today, is different. I treated myself to an hour long bubble bath and there is a quaint little window that I get to stare out of. The sky was calm, bringing in soft, fluffy, rain-welcoming clouds. One of my favorite things is a bubble bath on an overcast day. I don’t normally take baths because I get really dizzy, but today was different. I mean, c’mon, I was in the tub for a whole hour! Goodness gracious. :o)

 

Today, Jesus was filled with water and I got to swim inside him. Soooo odd, I know, but I’m learning to let Him show me weird, odd things that would sound out of this world.

 

It started with just thinking about water. It is wet and can only take the shape of whatever it is dumped into, like a swimming pool or water bottle or even yo mouf! Water is great for drinking, swimming in, floating in, or if you are like me, sinking in. I’m sure there are soooo many other things about water that I have yet to learn, but I am only going to write what I thought about today. I have a friend who makes fun of me because I sink and don’t float in the water. I have tried and tried, and it just isn’t me. But today, I realized that all the good, cool, neat things to discover are nearly always at the bottom of the ocean. So, I’ve decided that I’d rather sink than float.

 

(Wow, there’s a really cute guy sitting in St. Arbuck’s. I will not be distracted! LMAO.)

 

Okay, okay, so back to this. So, I started thinking about Jesus and what He looked like. I decided to erase what I thought He looked like and just let Him give me another look at Him. I’ve had this whole thing about living in color since my second year in Potter’s House. Whenever I worship, I always feel and see colour (because there’s more than one way to spell color and I like that) dripping/pouring/spraying/whatever way it comes from my hands and eyes and mouth and ears, but mostly from my hands. Every time that happens I hear myself (or Jesus) talking in my head about living in color. I love it. When I go to heaven, I am going to literally be in the midst of crazy colours that I have never encountered before and I think that maybe I will even be made of rainbow colors…Who knows what we’ll look like?

 

Wow, okay, so I’m now in the tub thinking about Jesus, water, and color and suddenly I see myself pouring loads of water into an opening in Jesus’ head until He is full and then I jump in (cuz I’m this tiny little person and He was realllly BIG) and start swimming around. Now, I know that He is full of all things good, already. This wasn’t me adding to His goodness. This was me discovering Him in a new way, and sure, it sounds really bizarre-o, but oh well...I don’t want to encounter Jesus in normal, human-expectant ways. After jumping, I start swimming around. There are no bones, there is no heart or lungs or muscles or anything…Just water. Clear, crisp, beautiful water, and on the edge of the water surrounding me was vivid, tangible color that I cannot describe. Blues and greens that were in shades I don’t even know. I can’t even remember what they look like, now, but I know I saw them! So, here I am, swimming in Jesus, thinking about this water that I just poured in him that has taken his shape, his goodness.

 

Jesus had no face or physical insides as we know them. He was all color on the inside and it was moving into the water towards me, to soak me even more. I was swimming and living in colour at that very moment. It was the most bizarre, fun, fabulous, peaceful, awe-inspiring picture I have seen yet.

 

Jesus no longer looks like flesh and bones to me. I see Him as one much more than that. I was entirely limiting what He could show me about himself by only allowing myself to see him as flesh and blood, since that was how he came to and left earth. But I failed to realize that there is soooo much more to what he looks like…Today, I saw another facet of Him. He is sooo beautiful and crazy and odd and I love him for it. Love that He will go outside the lines if I will open my eyes to see it. It was like he was showing me himself from the inside out, just like he wants us to live…from the inside out. I love that phrase. Inside Out.

 

He lives in me, of course, but I also know that I hold a special place in his heart and I get to discover his whole heart if I want to. It is the glory of God, or Jesus in this case, to hide a matter, and the glory of me to find it. I always pictured Jesus having a huge heart, like three times the size of my own…but how can he fit alllll those people into that tiny heart, because that still isn’t all that large…

 

And then I felt Him say to me, “I am my heart. “ And then I saw Him as his heart and his heart was him…It’s all metaphorical, but really…Jesus’ being was the size of his heart…everything in him is his heart…I don’t know if this is making any sense at all. Haha… I am completely undone my this revelation of how big he really is. He loves me with all of his being. He loves me with all of his heart. Gah! I wish I had better words, but I don’t.

 

I love Jesus. I love, love, love, love seeing his inners and outers. Hahaha! Oh man, that sounds soooo weird.

 

Love it.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes when I see through another's eyes, the wounds in me heal. Sometimes when I hear the best through another's voice, joy grows in unexpected ways, like a plant with a mind of it's own. Sometimes when you write, I hear songs that no one has ever written, and I am not only expecting to hear that song, but all the offshoots and response melodies to your heart. I like your music, your voice, your eyesight. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh so good....
    I like that you are an out of the box thinker. It is beautiful and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete